New article Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

New article

View previous topic :: View next topic  
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: New article Reply with quote

I recently wrote an article for Katchaser and was considering writing another.

.Catfishing Facts

What does everyone think of an article about limits on fishing? In it I hope to discuss why there are limits and how they are are planned. Various reasons for setting them and how they effect sport fishermen
CatManAndy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be interesting.
CatManAndy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the article, very informative.
Catfish Dan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Limits aren't a bad thing Reply with quote

I don't mind the idea of placing fishing limits. However I like slot limits more than any other method. I think the average Joe fisherman with a couple of poles should be allowed to catch as much as he/she will use if they plan to keep them. What I can't stand is the number of catch limits. This just forces people to cull till they get the highest possible poundage and that usually adds up to the best breeders. Walleye comes to mind for that scenario. And lets face it...The fish in the 2 to 3 pound range are usually the best for consumption anyway.
Slot limits good!
Quantity limits bad!
As for limits on catfish? I don't see a current need for them but a slot limit for breeding size fish wouldn't hurt them thats for sure. But I don't think I have ever known anyone to keep the bigger cats. Maybe for transfer to a pond or something? I don't know about the rest of you guys but I don't care to consume a 20lb cat of any kind. Not when I can catch a mess of those 2 pounders with the pearl white fillets.
Anyone else want to chime in with some thoughts?
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

I believe any type of fishing limits should be set by professional fishery departments. After a complete study of a waterways present fish populations and an evaluation of potential, the rate of harvest should be determined.

Biologists should have the information to make reasonable predictions of the carrying capacity and fishing pressure on a body of water.

Most ethical fishermen have the wisdom to limit their catch to a reasonable amount of fish. Some fishermen tend to take advantage of situations to catch fish when they are most vulnerable and overharvest the resource. Limits are set to control the group that feels compelled to keep all they can catch for bragging rights. Often these people do not eat these fish but show them to friends and dispose of the carcasses.

Ohio recently apopted a law of one channel catfish over 28 inches per day and one flathead over 35 inches. There is also a six-fish bag limit for channel catfish in lakes with less than 700 surface acres; Catfish are a low priority on ODNR list of fish. It seems that Bass and Muskie get more attention and study. Money generated from bass and muskie is much greater.

Again limits should be set by deciding the most productive management of the publics resources. This means ODNR is charged with determining the best fishing it can provide the taxpayers.
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another article for Catfish baits.

Catfish Baits

I can't possibly list all cat baits but it does give some useful suggestions.
Jason454ci

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great article Robby!! Thanks for sharing it with us. There certainly is alot of great info to be learned from the articles that you write. Sure would save a person a ton of time if they read your articles instead of just using trail and error on their own.
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sure would save a person a ton of time if they read your articles instead of just using trail and error on their own.

Jason
I just lay out a few suggestions with proven tactics and baits.
These may or may not be effective in different waters.
There are so many variables to predict fish behavior that it is impossible to calculate and understand them all. Most conditions are in a state of flux.
Weather water temperature and reproductive modes are all parts of the equation that constantly change. Water levels and clarity and bait preferences can change overnight. Boat traffic and moon phase also change.

So although some general knowledge can be shared, everyone must learn to do some trial and error as they get a more complete understanding of fish behavior and how to adapt to the conditions they face each trip.

One of the benefits of Katchaser and the Kat-a-Log is that many different people can bounce ideas off of each other and I often get new thoughts to consider as I am waiting on a bite.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> Suggestion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: