June 02 Muskingum River Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

June 02 Muskingum River

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catfish Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: June 02 Muskingum River Reply with quote

Weather was a warm, comfortable T shirt night. High 60's to low 70's.
Location: Muskingum River about 1/2 mile south of the Wills Creek inlet on the east bank.
Terrain: An isolated gravel island. Shallow water with main river channel just in casting range. Water depth was a tad low for this time of year but raised a 10th inch or so due to some showers further north earlier in the day.
Bait: Creek chubs with a few suckers mixed in. 3 inch to 6 inch range.

It was a lazy Saturday night so we fished within wading distance of my friends campsite. The boat isn't ready yet so we chose a local gravel island that we could wade to without getting our knees wet. Started fishing just after dark and continued fishing till 4:00AM or so. Activity was very hit and miss. We managed to catch a few prowling channel cats combing the shallows for baitfish. No flatheads but the terrain wasn't exactly ideal for that.

One of the channel cats I caught was filling with eggs. I estimate spawn to be within a few weeks if temperature and conditions allow. There were certainly enough fry and bugs around to permit a healthy spawn. An old timer once told me when the cotton wood blooms and starts to blow thats the time to fish for channels and I have never found a flaw in that theory. With the mild winter Ohio has had I think this could be a huge year for biguns!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> Catfish All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: