Swivel sizes and such Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Swivel sizes and such

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catfish Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Swivel sizes and such Reply with quote

Using Robby's Here is an illustration of my favorite river rig found here:
http://www.stormpages.com/katchaser/rig.html
30lb test Big game tied to everything in that illustration.
My double eyed swivels will need to be size 7 or size 8.
Just for wear and tear purposes I would like to make the snap swivel the weak point in this setup. I want to cast big bluegills with 3 oz sinkers. However I want a longer sinker leader and I want it to be 30lb test as well. What size snap swivel should I use to tear open for snags with that setup. Keep in mind I don't want to fling it off during casting.
I just cant picture the test pounds on those clip type swivels. I would much rather the swivel tear open than using a lighter line. I think my weights will last longer in rough terrain. I just thought it would be a good idea to make the clip the weak point for break away snags.
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a sinker slider I use on the James River.

Thes are used with big cut bait and 8 oz sinkers. The heavy weight for strong current make the slider a bestter choice to keep from weakening the main line.
Catfish Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I took notice of those in one of your other posts. I had never seen those before that. A couple of questions:
Do those tubes have any weight to them?
What is that T shaped piece on the top used for? It looks like it would get caught on things. I wondered if it could be cut off. Also what are the snap swivels rated for in test weight? If I were to tie a 18" leader with a sinker and clip it on what line would I use? 15lb 17lb?
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do those tubes have any weight to them?

Those are plastic and weight is minimal

Quote:
What is that T shaped piece on the top used for? It looks like it would get caught on things.

I believe the T's are for rigging lines using the slider on downrigger or side planer lines. Lures or baited lines are attached to the T with rubber bands or other breakaway materials for when fish hit. This would eliminate having to reset downriggers or side planers for each fish.

For your intended rigging these could be cut off.

I am not sure of the snap rating. It could be replaced or eliminated depending on what you need. I would prefer my weight line broke in the case of a snag so I would lose the least tackle and be able to rerig more easily.
Catfish Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I could live with the sinker line breaking. If my swivel popped open there would be no difference. With one exception...My sinker leader could be as strong as all my other line. You see what I am saying? The one thing dragging along the bottom and coming in contact with abrasive stuff would be just as strong as the rest of my rig. A good strong tug of war and the swivel would pop open and release the weight. In some cases I may still be able to reel it all back in. Just a thought.
Stonewall

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the same sinker slides as Robby and if using light weights they work good. Using heavy weights such as 10 or 12 ozs the swivel will come open resulting in lost weights. I haven't found one slide that works for the weight I am throwing. It would need to have a locking clip to prevent the loss of weights.
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am not sure of the snap rating. It could be replaced or eliminated depending on what you need

Cris
I was thinking with heavier weights a slide would be easier on your main line that a swivel since it would spread the stain over a larger area when casting.

It looks to me like you could remove the snap and use split rings or wire or whatever to attach weights as needed.

I was looking at the slide to see if I could develope a paternoster rig with it somehow for suspending baits. It looks like using heavy plastic tubing may be a better option.

Mike and I have suspended baits several times and several different ways and have not caught a flathead yet with a suspended bait. None of our techniques to suspend baits have been exactly what we desired because we leave our baits in place for 8-12 hours at a time.
SuperDave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,have you tried the sea striker sinker slides? They have a locking clasp.I use up to 10-12 oz frog tongues with them and Ive got snagged,but havent lost any sinkers due to the clasp coming undone.
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

Back before the slides were being sold I used to rig my own sliding system.

You can also see the mono loops on the sinkers for quickly changing weights.

This setup was for Red River cats in Manitoba. I used leaders
heavier than main line because fast current and rocks beat
the leaders up quickly.
I carried several extra leaders each day and changed them
out if I noticed a nick in the mono.
Catfish Dan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats exactly the rig I was talking about in my first post. I want to give that one a try this year. Longer sinker leader and possibly a slide instead of the extra swivel but the same rig overall. Where can you buy those slides locally?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> Tackle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: