SPRING FEVER  HERE R SOME PICS OF BIG CATS TAKEN OVER 4 YRS Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Refi

Bookmark this site!
SPRING FEVER HERE R SOME PICS OF BIG CATS TAKEN OVER 4 YRS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zubba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: SPRING FEVER HERE R SOME PICS OF BIG CATS TAKEN OVER 4 YRS Reply with quote

[/b]
catfish_hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some beatiful fish you got there!

Grandt Rods Prostaff
Driftmaster Rod Holders Prostaff
Bottom Dwellers Tackle Prostaff
zubba

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the big fish were taken on a tributary of the mississippi june - late july. It is sandy and full of log piles i'm sure that it is a spawning site for all these big fish every year. I learned a lot about these fish from robbie's years of fish'n. We have most of these fish on video. Can't wait til spring to get here. Keep up the good work. If your in WI in june i'll take u out.
CC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some pretty nice flatheads. Looks like you guys had a bunch fun catching them. Question is did you release them?

Chad
zubba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All fish were released except for the first two pictures.That was the first time we ever fished for flatheads and caught six monsters. We had one heck of a catfish fry. Those are the only fish we kept, ever. But as you can see from all the other fish the population is strong. We catch & release every fish and video tape them, now. How old do you think a 50 lb flattie from the north would be? I think it could be as old as 30 yrs, is that possible and do these fish return to the same spawning areas every year? That is why we catch so many from the same river. We have to have a special boat to reach these areas as this river is so crooked and shallow. the water is only 6 inches in some parts of the river, but there are holes of 6' at the deepest where log piles in the river wash the bottom out. We usually can hear fish feeding or rolling on the shallow sand flats, all nite sometimes. Do those flathead klonks really work, we hear them some nights, but have never bought one to try.
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How old do you think a 50 lb flattie from the north would be?

I have many flathead surveys and thesis dealing with flathead age. Very few flathead reach 20 years old and only 1 study shows a 21 year old fish.

Quote:
do these fish return to the same spawning areas every year?

Flathead do return to the same spawning spots each year. The most dominant male will take and hold the best spawning habitat. Each year the males go through battles to settle dominance. Females select their mates according to the best spawning habitat.

Quote:
Do those flathead klonks really work,

Klonks are historically a European invention used to lure Wels catfish.
I have serious doubts about them working for flathead catfish.

I suspect the noise you hear around spawning areas are territorial fights amongst males or male flathead defending eggs or fry.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> King of Kats All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: