5/28 Night on the River Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

5/28 Night on the River

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeanStone

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: 5/28 Night on the River Reply with quote

Went out to the Ohio River Saturday night to try our luck. We have spent countless nights chasing flatheads and decided to take a break. Got out to the river at 6pm and fished until 3:30am. Caught 7 blue cats in all, lost 4. Amanda landed the first one at about 8pm weighing in at 47 pounds and 10 ounces. I caught a 30 pound 2 ounce blue at 12:30am, and then Amanda landed a 29 pound blue at 2:30. The rest of the fish ranged in the 3-7 pound range and filled in the rest of the time. Rylan went along as well as our professional photographer. He hooked a NICE one, but lost it about 15 feet off of the bank. He put up a nice fight and swirled several times in less than 4 feet of water. I would have loved to see that one beached. (We lipped every one, so you can imagine how the hands feel right about now.) The only one we measured was the 30lber, it measured 40.5 inches in length. We were in too much of a hurry to get the 47 back in the water before to take a measurement.

47 pound 10 oz

30lbs 2 oz

29lbs some odd ounces.

After Amanda caught the 47 a guy walked over and asked if we would let him take the fish and put it in a farm pond. As nicely as I could I told him that we had a strickt code of morels when it comes to catching and releasing catfish. He repeatedly asked and we held firm with our decision. Later that night when I caught the 30 he came over again and asked if he could have it, nothing had changed. The fish was released again. He seemed really iritated as I tried to explain the importance of CPR, but he didn't care or didn't understand. More than likely the first of the two. We had quite the crowd all night, one guy told us that the guy that wanted our fish called his family and a friend. Whom joined us. At one point there were 10 poles within a 20 foot spread 15 feet from my poles. (Hope that makes sence.) I only had one tangle, in which a guy reeled in both my lines and tried to untangle them without my knowledge. (Note that my poles where probably 15 feet apart.) I kept my cool, and they soon left.

We were using all sorts of bait. At first we tossed out shrimp, yes shrimp. Which was what the 47 decided to snack on. Then we throw netted some shad, and suckers. The 30 came of a 4 inch whole shad, and the 29 came off of a sucker "Steak".

Oh, and you'll notice that we have sand everywhere, even on my face in the 30 pic. Since the rivers been up things are pretty messy on the banks. I just finished cleaning the reels, i'll have to clean the bed clothes soon. Sand, sand, sand.
CC

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on the cpr. nice fish!
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine you made a good decision. Flathead seem to be reluctant to start biting.

Actually I figure everyone except me and Chad should stop trying for flathead Very Happy

The more flathead get lockjaw the harder I fish for them.

Some day I may share technics learned from Biggie on how to get along with folks crowding your spots Very Happy
SeanStone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea it would have taken a good night of flatheads to top that trip for sure. Not that you haven't had such trips Robby. Very Happy We didn't give up on the flats, just taking a break thats all. We have already made plans to hit the lake again tomorrow and saturday. We have tried to find them in deep water, shallow water, rip rap, tributaries, etc. and we cant seem to find them anywhere. I imagine they have plenty to eat now, maybe thats why it's so hard to find them. It's got to be getting close to the hot prespawn bite down here, 2-3 weeks maybe. Can't wait.

Do such techniques involve fist fights? Becuase we were out numbered 3 to 1 easily, and thats if Amanda holds her own.
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do such techniques involve fist fights?

According to what I heard Biggie doesn't wait on his pals or count before the fur flies Very Happy

Some juggers offerred to come to bank to whip him and his friends and Biggie got on a boat to go to them Shocked

Evidently those boyz was better at hollerin than fighting cause they retreated.

He has been nominated to the jugger welcoming committee chairman Very Happy

Quote:
Becuase we were out numbered 3 to 1 easily, and thats if Amanda holds her own.

Perhaps your next gift choice for her will be a couple of friends (Smith and Wesson) Wink
SeanStone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think biggie might want a second job? We have an opening down here for the trotliners welcoming comittee chairman. Very Happy We usually cut the lines, but if we were to wait for the owners to return I think they just might find other places to put thier lines.

I know a few people whom teach a concealled carry class, might just have to enroll this winter. I don't like messing with hand guns too much but it wouldn't hurt to get one or two. As much time as I spend outdoors I have never found a need for protection, other than from snakes and one stray turkey that was a little to protective of her nest Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> Bluecats All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: