Salvaging a lost evening Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Salvaging a lost evening

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> General catfishing chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M.Magis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Salvaging a lost evening Reply with quote

My oldest developed a condition this weekend that while seemingly minor, the ER Dr did send me home with a laundry list of things to watch for. When he started crying about it hurting at 4pm, I ended up having to cancel on Robby at about the last minute. I had a feeling my son was more tired than anything, but just couldn’t risk not being able to get him back to the ER if needed. I had the truck loaded, bucket full of bluegill, and had been looking forward to fishing all week. So, I told the wife to get the boys dressed and we were going fishing for a little bit. I’ve wanted to try running baits with a kayak for a long time and bought some this year, so rather than hooking up the big boat I threw a kayak in the back and we headed out. There were vehicles parked near all the spots I wanted to fish, so rather than walk to all of them to verify if they were occupied or not, I simply drove until I found an open, though unproductive looking, spot. While the boys played in the water, and stepped on my rods, I went to getting baits dropped. It turns out that the kayak may be going with me more often. Even though it was a bit of an experiment, I had 6 baits dropped in less than 10 minutes. I still need to figure out a container to hold bait. I had a small 2 gallon bucket with me, but had to grab two baits from the big bucket on shore each time I came back for lines. I need to come up with a container that’s short but wide enough to hold more baits. The maneuverability is far better than a boat, and I can get up to speed in a few seconds. I was surprised how fast it was. After about an hour, I made out the steady click, click, click over the boys’ chatter (and screaming). I hooked the fish and could tell it wasn’t big, but was more disappointed to see a fork tail surface. I asked my soon to be 4 year old if he wanted to reel it in and he eagerly ran over and said yes. They weren’t concerned it wasn’t a flathead, they were just happy to catch a catfish. Even though I was disappointed having to cancel, it was a good chance to try out the kayak and the boys had a good time. I think we were there all of 10 minutes before they were soaking wet. If it involves water or mud, my boys are in it. Very Happy

Jason454ci

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say by the smiles they had a great time. Good to see you getting them out and having a good time fishing and getting muddy. A few more years they will be out chasing deer. Very Happy
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you missed with me was channel cats eating the flathead baits as fast as I could serve them up Rolling Eyes
ducky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, they look like they had a blast! Kayak is a good idea!
ducky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way its great to hear your boys are like real boys, its sad how many young boys just play Nintendo's and dont have dirt under there nails. If I ever have a boy, I pray he will love the outdoors as much as I do.
M.Magis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're a ton of fun, and all boy. No mud puddle or dirt pile is ever left untouched. Very Happy
They don't know what video games are, and I'll think I'll keep it that way for a while. Like you say, I hate to see boys that cringe when they get a little dirt on their hands.
bigcatjoe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good night after all. For now I run my baits with a kayak. Its convenient for travel, but a pain to move gear in for tough to reach spots. Dont count on it to move off and fight fish from either. Just end up turning into a splashing float jug Very Happy
CC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the boys from across the lake. I told Wendell sounds like there having fun. Great story mike. I have three girls. The little likes mud and worms! She might turn out to be my fishing buddy. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> General catfishing chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: