Hello From Ostrander, OH Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Hello From Ostrander, OH

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean Torges

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Hello From Ostrander, OH Reply with quote

Hi. I'm new to the site and enrolled in Flathead Kindergarten. Have hunted and fished with great passion all of my life (am 72 and in good health), but have just recently turned my attention to these brutes, reading all I can and soaking info from everywhere. This site came recommended by Mr Magis, and I'm grateful to him for the info he's shared with me.

I think I'm ok for equipment right now with some dandy Fenwick rods I wrapped back in the 80's, some for muskie, some for steelhead, equipped with 6500c's. Got sinker molds and a nice 17' Lund Adventurer, tiller control, with a 9.9 kicker. Still have the desire to learn, still have the catch instinct. I'm probably too old to get good at this, but the other side of the coin is that I'm too old not to have fun with it.

I'm also a passionate bowhunter and have been since I rolled my first rabbit (running) with a neck shot back in the mid 50's. I make my own bows. I also have some pretty fair Mt. Curs that I love to squirrel and coon hunt. I've been retired for about 10 years now. My wife Mary sez I've always been retired.

If you are interested in traditional archery or Mt. Curs or chickens, gardening, smoking meat, making sausage, etc. and so forth—in short, all the fascinating stuff that won't make you or me a dollar—I welcome you to visit my website, www.bowyersedge.com.

I've resisted this flathead urge for too many years now. A man can't do it all, not if he wants to attain some level of competence. He's got to pick and chose, restrict himself and focus. Well, I'm here now. With both feet. I know I'm going to like it, and I don't mind going fishless while I learn. Hell, this is more like hunting than fishing, and I hunted deer with great dedication for 6 years before I arrowed my first one (1964). Sometimes I wish for those days again, when deer numbered maybe one or two per sq. mile, and men were gentlemen in the woods.

I'll shut up now and do some more reading, though I've about exhausted all the fine articles on this website.

Please, if you have other informative websites or literature to recommend to me, I'd appreciate a head's up. Thank you.

Dean Torges
Ostrander, OH
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Nick!

Catfishing can be a daunting challenge but holds great rewards. Caught many channel cats on the Scioto downriver from the old trolley bridge by Mink street bridge while smallmouth fishing.

Say hello to my friends Tom (Lowell T and Zach Taylor). Hunted many years on Toms fathers place on Fulton rd.

Flathead fishing takes a while to learn and patience to catch them but with a little persistence anyone can learn.

Catchabiggun,
Robby
Dean Torges

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Robby. Nick is my brother's name, though. Dean or Deno is mine. LOL.

Would that be the Taylors on DOnovan Rd, near Mink, that raise sheep?

That once was a great stretch of smallmouth water, but it's a mudslide much of the Spring and Summer anymore. Damn shame. Held some pike, too, though I never caught any of size.

I knew a Robby Robinson back in the 60's in Columbus. He was a master craftsman for making banjo necks and inletting them with Mother of Pearl on Gibson banjos, and he also could pick that thang. Was in a band on weekends at Irv-Nells on High Street that played terrific bluegrass. We rabbit hunted together. He also piloted small planes and died in a crash. Terrible loss. Are you by chance related?

I'm patient and have a short memory for failures, always optimistic and looking forward to the next chance. But what I was trying to say is that I doubt I have enough time left to reach the level of competence that couples passion with lengthy experience to become very expert. It's ok, though. Time to be dialing it back a bit, I guess. I've gone pretty much full bore in the past. Gets a time to just be grateful for being here and doing this. Meanitme, I hope to catch some kick-ass flatheads. Very Happy

I'm happy to have access to this site, to the members here, and I value your articles. Have read through all of them several times. I'm a thirsty sponge in pick-up mode. Smile
M.Magis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Dean. Hopefully the weather is going to get back to normal, and with the spawn wrapping up soon the flatheads should be more cooperative. Not that they’re ever all that cooperative. Flathead fishing sure can be frustrating at times, but as Robby mentioned, it’s very rewarding when the time and effort start showing results.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> Introduce yourself All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: