Looking for a change Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Looking for a change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> General catfishing chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Looking for a change Reply with quote

Flathead have got lockjaw and after more skunks than I want to remember I decided to use a larger bait to try and get some interest.

Dropped this 2 pound carp out hoping it might have more vibrations and a larger silhouette. Still no action. I hope things change soon.
M.Magis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it sure looks like a good bait. We heard some large disturbances up under the down trees at the notch the other night, but we also caught two flatheads that both looked to be done spawning. Not particularly big ones, but a start. Woody was happy to get a taste, I think Rob’s been depriving him. Very Happy I keep meaning to get the pic off the camera, but just haven’t found the time yet. The humidity is making darn near unpleasant to fish.
ducky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great looking bait. This year I did switch to dacron on a lot of my poles. But using baits that large has caused major twist in the line and some realy bad frayed spots. Im thinking im goin to start using the old Carolina rig with a heavy mono leader for large baits. Should help tremendously on twist and frayed spots.
M.Magis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The twists seem to happen when a stick, or twig, gets caught in the line. Most of the time they don’t cause much trouble, but occasionally they get so bad that if a flathead picked up the bait it wouldn’t get hooked well, if at all. I fished a new spot last year riddled with limbs in the water, and decided that when I go back I’ll have to tie on a swivel. Nearly every line I reeled in was twisted beyond use. It may explain why I lost more fish there than I landed. However, it’s not very often it gets that bad. Now, years back when the bait shop was carrying 9” koi, it was a problem. I think them things went searching for a piece of wood, then when they found it they went looking for their partners. Very Happy It wasn’t uncommon to have 3 or 4 lines all tied together.
I do think the suppleness of the Dacron allows the bait to swim more freely than a mono leader. But it's certainly higher maintenance than other lines.
ducky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullhead sound about the same as the koi. I been using bullhead on half of my poles this year to give them a good chance. And they are the ones realy twisting line. Sometimes all the way down the shank of the hook like u wrapped it 100 times on a Snell knot. I will say bullhead has been producing fish but size seems to be a proplem this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> General catfishing chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: