Picture for Dean Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Picture for Dean

View previous topic :: View next topic  
M.Magis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Picture for Dean Reply with quote

I'm posting these For Dean. Seems he's figured out a pattern that's working.
I'll let him give the details. Great job.

Dean Torges

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike. But most of all thanks for the insights and the information you've offered me, and for your patience with my quesitons. Very much appreciated. My fun would not be possible without your help.

I'm new at this. Wet my first flathead line Monday, though I did some scouting for them last week. I've been pounding the saugeye meantime. Put a deadstick out for bluegills Monday while casting Vibes and after I had enough of both I went for flatheads. Fished four weekdays this week and by Friday I wasn't so interested in saugeyes anymore. Friday I fished for saugeye for less than an hour, then it was after bluegills and then flatheads. Caught my smallest two Friday. Would have fished longer, but blew a trolling motor fuse and it's a pia to get to to replace. Damned if I didn't end up spending more time catching bluegills than fishing for shovelheads, but that's fun, too.

These aren't big fish, but it's been action packed. The smallest I photographed with the bluegill net behind them for scale. The first one I'm guessing was over twenty. The biggest one was, I'm guessing again, around 25 to 30, showing spawning marks, and the one I brought home and ate in the 4th pic was by scale 17 lbs. The biggest one reached almost from my belt to the boat deck, and I used to be 5' 11" before I got old and started turning back toward the dirt. All the fish were fat and healthy.

We had guests Thurs so I didn't fish. We fried up the 17. Ambivalent about bringing it home, but I trimmed it up very nice, fileting off the red layer and removing the lateral. Everyone loved it. Flaky, mild white meat. Delicious. But I could only eat a couple of bites. Felt guilty as hell. Likely my last shovelhead for the table. I guess that's why God made perch, bluegills, saugeye and walleye.
Dean Torges

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS, you can just about guess order of appearance by the accumulation of deck slime. Very Happy Got a Dutch rub by Al Rosen when I was a small boy and wouldn't let my mother wash my hair. I believe I'll leave the slime a while. It smells good.
bigcatjoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see some fish coming aboard! Congrats on your first few flats, the big fish will come.
M.Magis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fishing trip, two more flatheads. Someone forgot to mention to Dean that it's mandatory for a beginner to go fishless for at least 10 fishing trips before catching their first flatheads. Very Happy

Dean Torges

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it's time to tell the truth. Sorry if I misled anyone. Al Rosen never gave me a Dutch rub. I wanted him to. Stood on the field next to him with my cub scout den for a photograph and he could have if he'd wanted to. Maybe he almost did, I dunno. But he didn't. So sue me. I'm a fisherman, and I can tell the story like it should have been if I want to.

But I did catch these two flatheads today (thanks for posting them, Mike). Carried the Hansen scale with me. One weighed 29 lbs (same size as the one with the spawning rub) and the other 15 on the nose. Had the 29 tangled up for 5 minutes or more, pulling on him from every direction, giving and taking line until he finally broke free. It was so damn much fun I pissed myself. Not really, but I can tell it that way if I want to. I'm a fisherman.

I found that I can lay the large S hook inside the ledge on the lower jar to weigh the fish and it seems to do him no injury. I guess I shouldn't lift him straight up, though, right?

Am having a ton of fun between the saugeyes in the morning, then catching bluegills for bait and then going after shovelheads. Life ain't always this sweet.
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you are doing something right! Congratulations.

You could weigh your fish in your landing net and probably be easiest on you and the fish.

When you get very serious about flathead fishing you will want a to make or buy a weigh sling and a 100 pound scale.
Dean Torges

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigcatjoe wrote:
... the big fish will come.

Thanks for the encouragements. I hope you're right.

And thanks for the weighing-in-the-net tip. I do have a Hansen 100 lb scale, and I carried it with me today even though I thought it was presumptuous to do so. But, hell, the streak continued of at least one fish per outing.

I had another run today but missed him. The bluegill stayed on the hook but came back with its dorsal fin torn and broken. I don't think it was a flathead.
bigcatjoe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want a bunch of discount flathead tackle? I think I might finish out my year fishing for crappie. Haha.
ducky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigcatjoe wrote:
Want a bunch of discount flathead tackle? I think I might finish out my year fishing for crappie. Haha.

Not till u put me on a few at ur secret lake! Lol.
bigcatjoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deal, haha.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> Flathead All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: