finding a blue cat Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

finding a blue cat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
canepole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: finding a blue cat Reply with quote

In my opinune a big blue cat will try and find a place where he can hide and ambush his next meal, while fishing, You have to train your mind to think like him, you got to use your depthfinder and try and find the most suitable spot, I guarantee that if you are going down river and you are on a bank going down river and you are in fifteen feet of water and all of a sudden you drop over a ledge into 45 to 50 ft of water, a good straight drop off, there's going to be a bigun laying there waiting for his next meal, I would like to hear your opinunes on this subject.Tom
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom

I agree that the big blues use the holes for hideouts.

These current breaks allow them sanctuary from the current also.
The deep holes slow the current and items suspended in fast current often drop into the slack current in the hole. If those items are edible blue cats can grow big while living the easy life.

It seems to me that most actively feeding cats are on the upcurrent side of holes where they can be the first to get any food coming downstream.

Don't forget to target any other current breaks you find such as wing dams or sunken barges.
gottafish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add a little bit to the "up current" theory. I often find good fish on the "up current" side of structure.

Consider an underwater hump that extends 5 or 6 feet off the bottom in 30 feet of water. Generally fish that are laying on the down current side of that hump will likely be inactive and the chances of getting a bite on a bait placed there are low.

There is also a current break in front of that hump. It's not as extreme as the backside, but it's there nonetheless. This is where the ACTIVE fish will position themselves.

When I set my baits on a piece of structure, I usually try to place a bait to the down current side if possible, but I anchor in relation to the up current side and use the most care in placing my baits there.

/Scott

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> Bluecats All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: