Springtime Channel Cats Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Springtime Channel Cats

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Springtime Channel Cats Reply with quote

The father-in-law and I took our first trip to Wills Creek yesterday. Water surface temperature was 58 degrees.
I was really surprised that the water was that warm for this time of year. I caught four nice Channel Cats using dead Shad. This is the pic. of the biggest one. Can't wait for a couple weeks I'll start Flathead fishing at Wills Creek.

CC
tcba1987

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a darn nice channel cat. ive fished wills creek at the dam probably 10 times in the past two years and i really havent been impressed with it at all. ive caught some average sized channels 3-8 lbs from there and a few flatheads in the 5-10 lb range but NONE of the big bruiser flatties that i hear about down there. i fish off of the wall using 4-7 inch live gills for flatties and i use cut shad and chicken livers for the channels. is there something i should be doing differently ??? i can catch 3-8 lb channels and 5-10 lb flatties from the Tusc River near New Phila and not drive an hour or more one way. im considering giving up on wills creek dam..............any advice ??? i know the rigs im using and hooks are the right ones for the fish im seeking so im thinking may be its the bait or locations im fishing ???

Team Dumb & Dumber

BUMBA-FISHING and having a BUMBA-TUDE and we are having FUN doing it !!!
CC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Channels Reply with quote

I never had much luck down at the dam. I fish near Plainfield area. There is some nice channels in Wills Creek. Also some nice flatheads. I have caught 15lb channels and 30 to 40 pound flatheads in Wills Creek on rod and reel. Don't give up on it, just try another location. The fish are there. I usually fish out of a small boat. So I can hit several spots on the creek.

CC
tcba1987

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive fished one time near the kimbolton / plainfield area at the old broken down bridge. i had heard it was a GOOD location, i was stuck bankfishing it nd i went through about 10 bottom rigs in a hour and a half and decided to leave. there was a TON of snags, i know that the wood is great cover for flatties but i only had so many bottom rigs with me. it LOOKED like a good location and i talked to a couple of guys who said they caught flatties there regularly !!! was i in the right area ??? im not wanting you to give up specific locations just wondered if that area was any good ??

Team Dumb & Dumber

BUMBA-FISHING and having a BUMBA-TUDE and we are having FUN doing it !!!
tusccattin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The creek is full of fish. It is also full of snags......but that makes it good. It takes time. I know the few times we were there fishing Will's together, some decent fish were caught. I have never had one special spot produce better than others, and have seen big fish caught all along the creek. It just takes time. As with fishing anywhere, you have to put in the time. If you want big fish, you can't expect one every trip out. I think I have made at least 30 trips to the dam in the last 2 yrs and have only caught 10 fish over 20 lbs there. many of them under 15 though. Other places I fish on the creek can produce good numbers, but depends on water conditions. Put in the time and you will catch the fish. But stay close to home if you don't want to waste gas. I have decreased my 40 minute trips to the creek because of high gas prices in the last year or so, and have since learned more spots locally that hold large flatties. Now I drive farther to gather bait than I do to get to good flattie holes
hillbillybelownewphilly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I hadn't fished it more than once at the dam and caught a 38 pounder there. I will definatley be fishing there as well as a few other spots on the creek that I have heard about. We camp on the creek and just about a mile down the road, the creek makes a turn and is supposed to be pretty deep. I never tried it last year but am going to give it a try this year for sure.
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Chad!

I can't wait to start catfishin
SuperDave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure is a fat channel Chad. WTG. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> Channel cats All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: