Time to Respool Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Time to Respool

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeanStone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Time to Respool Reply with quote

With spring at our doorstep I decided to re-spool a couple of my reels. When re-spooling a reel, the first step is determining what kind of line you want to use. The reel I chose to re-spool for this post was one of my spare abu garcia 7000i's on a 9' catmaxx rod. I have several newer set ups and quite frankly better quality, so I keep this reel handy for when I sucker a family member or friend to head out when no one else is willing. You know those nights when you decide to fish 2 hours after dark with leftover bait, and the weather channel is calling for severe thunderstorms. Poor fellas. Very Happy

For this type of set up I go with the line that I have the most of, 30lb silver thread an40. This line just happens to fall into the "not big enough" for 7000's, and "too big" for the abu garcia 6000's, 6500's, and kalex 60's. There's nothing wrong with this line, I just bought way too much of it, and then decided I wanted to switch to 40lb test. So I figure I'll put it on the spare reels. It's a mono filament so its a general purpose line.

I begin the re-spooling process by gathering the "proper equipment." The redneck re-spooling station if you will. I grab the fishing line of choice, a straw from one of my float set ups, electrical tape, and a wet paper towel.

I then begin by running the straw through the center of the spool of line. Make sure to pay particular attention to the way in which the line comes off of the spool, you want it to come off of the spool and go onto the reel in the same fashion. This will reduce line twist, bird-nests from being created from loose line, and improve casting ability. I then place the straw across the top of the box.....you can also grab a pair of boots and run the straw from boot to boot if you don't have a box.

I then run the line through the guides of the rod and then into the levelwind mechanism. At this point I grab the electrical tape and tape the line onto the spool. I like to do this so that if I ever get spooled, or fall asleep with the clicker on, that the line will release leaving my rod where it is and not in the water getting drug around by a fish. Other people would rather tie the line to the spool, in order to fight till the last inch of line is lost. It is simply a matter of preference. It's important to note here that some reels will have a nipple to tie line to, such as a some abu garcia 7000ic3s, or pro rockets. For these I choose to tie the line to the nipple rather than using electrical tape, because more than likely the line will catch on that nipple anyway...thus pulling your rod into the water, or cutting your line.

Its now time to grab the wet paper towel. I use the wet paper towel to add lubrication and pressure to the line as it is being re-spooled onto my line. This will allow you to get more line onto a spool, and give you a tighter wrap.....eliminating most bird-nests and providing further, smoother casts. I simply fold the paper towel into quarters and then pinch my line between the fold.

I then begin to reel in line at a slow and steady retrieve. I stop occasionally to move the line within the paper towel to get a spot that is still wet. I then proceed to fill the spool until it reaches within 1/10 of an inch or so from the spool.

Make sure that when you are holding your line in your paper towel that you keep it as centered as possible. If you get off to one side or the other, your spool will begin to fill faster on that side. Once your done the spool should look somewhat symmetric....IE. 1/10 of an inch from the edge of the spool on each side.

You can then tie the end line off to one of the eyes of the rod, tie on a pop can tab and reel it up to the level-wind mechanism, tie on a swivel, tape the line to the spool with the electrical tape, or go ahead and tie a rig on. If you tie the end of the line off to the rod eye, make sure not to reel the line up too tight, rod eyes are not make to handle this kind of pressure. That's why they sometimes loose ceramic inserts, or get bent.
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be a while for me. I will respool bluegill and
channel cat rods first. Your post reminds me that I want
to put a little super glue on any ceramic guides I
have left.

I am thinking of getting a piece of allthread and
a spring to make a tensioning line install tool so
I don't have to hold line as I respool.

Chad can vouch that I don't keep my gear
spitshined throughout the season. I do disassemble
and clean my reels after I remove old line.

I check drag disks and pawls and clean dirt from
gearing and apply a little lube to gears. My picture shows
3 in one oil (on levelwind gear) but I use vaseline on
main gears to insure oil doesn't get on drag disks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> Tackle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: