First Trip Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

First Trip

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean Torges

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: First Trip Reply with quote

For my first trip, I'm going to a reservoir I know pretty well top to bottom, headwaters to dam. I have a place picked out to anchor. There are 3 possible anchor situations that will let me reach combinations of five fishable areas. My question is what to prioritize at this time of year.

I have a long rocky flat in mind 1/4+ mile in length that runs north and south about 5 to 7 feet deep parallel to the bank. It extends out from the bank about 75 yards or more. Along its length almost down the middle runs a ridge about 5' deep. The flat drops off quickly to the old creek basin to the west, to about 40' of water, and the old creek channel winds down this basin several feet below that. From the other bank, a large feeder stream comes in.

Everything moves up on this flat to feed: saugeyes, channel cats, wipers. It holds shad, crappie, bluegills and craws. Bluegills spawn there in the Spring.

On the upcurrent end of this flat is a large bowl about 12-14 foot deep, between the flat and a rocky point further upcurrent. There's a 10 foot bowl on the downcurrent side.

From one anchor position, I can reach 1. the upcurrent bowl, the dropoff edge, and the flat, 2. the flat, the ridge, the drop off edge and maybe even the old creek bed, 3. the downcurrent bowl, the flat and the old creek bed.

I'm thinking 2, the drop off edge and the flat. Do you have enough info to make an informed preference here?

There is some current there now, but not much. The water is stained heavily, but settling out. This area is about midway between the dam and the headwaters.

Thanks for any insights you may offer. I'm excited about my first try. Hope I don't wear y'all out before I get a chance to wear out a leviathan.
Dean Torges

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do get carried away. The better version of this question would have been to simply ask what I should focus on this time of year as a novice going into unexplored catfish water.
M.Magis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large flats, or creek channels between flats, are usually good areas to start. Creek channels adjacent to wooden cover can also be good. I like to think of where a flathead would go to feed, or how would he get there.
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean

You are just beginning a long journey.

It takes years to pinpoint areas that flathead frequent and you can only learn them through trial and error.

Since flathead do not feed every night you must try each locations several times before concluding that none are present.

Welcome to flathead fishing Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> Flathead All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: