It was a "Hot and Cold" weekend Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

It was a "Hot and Cold" weekend

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gottafish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: It was a "Hot and Cold" weekend Reply with quote

Had a pretty good day on the James on saturday. In all, my buddy and I boated 7 fish that would be considered Virginia citations (over 30 pounds). The largest at 46. At one point, we anchored up on a spot that has produced well for me in the past, and had fish on four of the six rods we were fishing. It was a little chaotic for a few minutes while we scrambled to boat a fish and get it out of the net and go after the last one. Three of the fish were over 30.

Nothing HUGE, but a good solid day of fishing!!

Sunday was a different story though. Got a few smaller fish and did manage a 33 but the bite, in general, was off. The fish were just mouthing the baits and were taking rods down on occasion, but they were doing in a real lazy fashion. We had none of those "freight train" takedowns that are so common with big blues.

We had a cold front move through on friday night that I actually thought might effect saturday fishing. They didn't shut down until sunday though. I need to check the barometer and see if there was some sort of change on saturday night.
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott

By all means if you learn when catfish will or will not bite I would love to know Very Happy

Congratulations on a fine trip! Ya gotta love them rods getting buried in the surface as a big blue turns with a bait and takes drag!

Last edited by katfish on Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
gottafish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High pressure sure seems to shut the fish down in a hurry. Every time the pressure has risen to 1030mb or better, the bite drops off significantly.

I'm trying to get better at logging my trips so I can make more than just a generalized guess.

What is your opinion on pressure and its effects?
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick pressure changes often mark weather changes. This has some effect on fish.

I feel the most important aspect of pressure is its effect on fishes equalibrium. Fish achieve nuetral bouyancy by adjusting their air bladders.
This takes a varying amount of time depending on the amount of air pressure change and the species and size of fish.

Larger fish seem to take longer to acclimate to changing pressure. This means that smaller fish (baitfish) have a tactical advantage to escape.
Large fish either have instinct or learn that hunting is not productive when they are out of balance or there is a physical sensation that causes them to become innactive.

Pressure changes must be evaluated with other factors when fishing but it has been my experience that the best bites are after 3 days of the same weather (air pressure). During different periods of the year I look for times when the weather stays the same. 3 days of rain often produce better than other weather that is not stable for a long enough time for the big fish to gain their balance.

Nothing except lightning keeps me from fishing to confirm my previous observations Very Happy
catfish361

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gottofish
Over the years I have learned when you have a high or a low preasure system, you need to down size your bait and fish real tight to structure.
The one thing you will notice or atleast I have is the mud on the belly of the fish.
try it and let me know if it works for you
Steve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> Bluecats All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: