Hello from Massillon area Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Hello from Massillon area

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLATKATHUNTER

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Hello from Massillon area Reply with quote

Hey Robby, this is Shane Marthey from western Massillon and have been fishing for flatheads for alittle over a decade (im only 22). i've talked to you before about flathead fishing probably two years ago i think in ur guestbook. Well anyways im a river fisherman, and have fished lakes before. I never pass up going to my camp on wills creek and launching my canoe and head for the holes and jams in search on a biggun.

Shane
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane

Welcome to the Kat-a-Log.

A canoe is great for the upper Muskingum river and to use in the Lower Scioto river to locate holes and probe for flathead.

I could even use a canoe to fish many spots on lakes. I would use it to set out baits and fish from shore. Tappan comes to mind with several spots I can drive to and then set the canoe in to run out baits. Piedmont and Clendenning also have several spots similar to those.

Last edited by katfish on Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
FLATKATHUNTER

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Flatheads/canoe/lake fishing Reply with quote

Robby,
Yea we actually tried Clendening close to the 799 bridge we set out six lines over a 4 hour period this past tuesday and pole fished what looked like a nice brush pile along a deep hole (over orr length deep 5 foot off the bank, thats my hillbilly depth finder. ) but had no luck. Two of my bank lines were clean. Just wanted to try lake fishing for a change. The 799 bridge had several bluegill i think we caught around 40 bluegill in about a half hour for bait. I know theres a nice number of Flatheads in Salt Fork I caught two around twenty pounds in a bay on the north end of the lake and my buddy used nightcrawlers (hes not a big Flathead fisherman and had a field day with some nice channel cats but thats not my style).
p.s. I meant I use the canoe on Wills Creek. I tried my hunny hole thursday night on Wills and got two ten pounders and two nice fish that shook the hook before getting a look at them.( but a pontoon is in the works for me. I have been looking at a few. I like the deck you put on ur pontoon maybe a can get a few pointers when or if i buy one.
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane

I heard of a big flathead caught at Clendenning last week.

Wills Creek is low due to lack of rain but the fish are still there.
The low water everywhere moves baitfish away from shoreline cover and makes
it easier for predators to catch. Have confidence that your baits are easier meals
than ones that can dart away quickly and place them boldly close to submerged timber.

We learn to deal with snags because we know we must get a bite before we can
land a flathead. If the fish are staying tight to cover we go in after them.
FLATKATHUNTER

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the pointers, with the rain they are calling for all week i think wills might be up. I havent really fished much in august just getting my bow ready for deer and turkey season but in september i will hit the river hard again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> Introduce yourself All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: