What are the Hitchhikers? Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

What are the Hitchhikers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Resqu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: What are the Hitchhikers? Reply with quote

Over the past year, Al and I have seen small tick like creatures over most of a flatheads body in the slime (or flatty juice). Most are white, to clear.

Now as some are thinking, yea, its the Muskingum, and no, we dont keep them. LOL

Anyone else see this or know of them?
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most parasites on fish are microscopic size. These include protazoa such as Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (ich) or other ciliates

What I think you have observed is digenean trematodes or another parasite. These are larval stages of insects that lay eggs in aquatic vegetation. Fish that come in contact with the vegetation/eggs have the larvae attach and burrow under the skin.

These will leave the host (fish) when they mature or when temperature is too low for their survival. I have seen these larva most in fish in ponds during July and August.

It is a tough World out there and flathead don't have medical insurance.
bigcatjoe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed this as well, and last year took some samples of the creatures to the lab at OSU to I.D. them. Turns out, they are aquatic fish lice of the genus Argulus. Somewhat common in the aquarium trade, they must have been introduced via fish stockings to the MWCD lakes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> Flathead All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: