Another Ohioan here Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Another Ohioan here

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joey209

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Another Ohioan here Reply with quote

Hey,I'm Joey and I'm from Hebron Ohio.Bout 2 miles north of Buckeye Lake.Just sayin Whats Up
fishmac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi joey, welcome to the site and good luck
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey

I think Hebron has a hatchery to keep Buckeye lake full of channel cats.
De§perado™

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Joey, I'm up the road from you in Pataskala. Maybe hook up and go fishing.
Joey209

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De§perado™ wrote:
Welcome Joey, I'm up the road from you in Pataskala. Maybe hook up and go fishing.
Ha!Thats funny.I'm in Pataskala everyday.My boss and a co-worker live there and we car pool to Columbus.Small World
Joey209

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katfish wrote:
Joey

I think Hebron has a hatchery to keep Buckeye lake full of channel cats.
Sure does.Now if they would only stock it with Shovelheads I wouldn't have to drive 30 min to Zaneville every weekend,I'd fish 2min from the house
De§perado™

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true Joey.
Catfish Dan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckeye lake used to have flatheads. I seem to recall someone catching a 40+ pounder out of there and making the newspaper for it. I think it was in the late 80's. It was probably one that somebody turned loose though. If there were a regular population I probably wouldn't catch as many crappies as I do.
Joey209

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catfish Dan wrote:
Buckeye lake used to have flatheads. I seem to recall someone catching a 40+ pounder out of there and making the newspaper for it. I think it was in the late 80's. It was probably one that somebody turned loose though. If there were a regular population I probably wouldn't catch as many crappies as I do.
In 1995 there was a major drought and the lake dropped like 2 or 3 feet and if you know anything about Buckeye Lake it can't afford to drop that low at all.The oxygen content plummited and there was a huge die off.I saw 100's of BIG shovelheads floatin along the banks.It made me sick that all those Big Beautiful Shovelheads had to die.
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey

Ohio doesn't stock flathead and until this year there was no limit on the amount of the big fish you could keep. Now there is a limit of only one flathead over 35 inches per day.

Few rod and reel fishermen ever catch more than 1 flathead per night but jug, limbline, and trotline fishermen may do so on a regular basis.

In any case it seems Ohio has recognized the importance of maintaining larger fish to repopulate the areas that have suitable habitat for them.

This year selected waterways have selective limits on a variety of species and checking out the new regulations might benefit anglers.

Special regulations for fishing in Southwest Ohio (see your 2007-2008 Ohio Fishing Regulations for further details):

1. A 15 inch minimum size limit for walleyes at C.J. Brown Reservoir.

2. A 12 inch minimum size limit for all black bass species (largemouth, smallmouth, and spotted) at the following lakes and reservoirs larger than 500 acres: C.J. Brown, East Fork, Grand Lake St. Marys, Loramie, and Rocky Fork.

3. A 15 inch minimum size limit for all black bass species (largemouth, smallmouth, and spotted) at Adams, Acton, Caesar Creek, Cowan, Paint Creek and Rush Run lakes.

4. A 15 inch minimum size limit and daily bag limit of 4 for hybrid striped bass at East Fork Lake.

5. A 15 inch minimum size limit and daily bag limit of 1 for smallmouth bass at Stillwater River in Miami County from Ohio 718 downstream to Fredrick-Garland Rd.

6. A 9-inch minimum size limit for black and white crappies at Caesar Creek Lake.

7. A daily bag limit of 6 for channel catfish at the following public lakes less than 700 acres: Acton Lake, Adams Lake, Clark Lake, Cowan Lake, Darke Wildlife Area ponds, Eastwood Lake, Fallsville Wildlife Area ponds, Grant Lake, Hillsboro Reservoir, Indian Creek Wildlife Area ponds, Oldaker Wildlife Area ponds, Rush Run Lake, Spring Valley Lake, Stonelick Lake, Sycamore State Park ponds, Tawawa Lake, Wabash Reservoir #1, and Winchester Reservoir.

8. A daily bag limit of 40 for yellow perch.

9. A daily bag limit of one channel catfish 28 inches and larger. No daily bag limit for channel cats under 28 inches except as noted above in #7.

10. A daily bag limit of one flathead catfish 35 inches and larger. No daily bag limit for flatheads under 35 inches.

Recent changes in fishing regulations statewide:

1. Walleye bag limit on Lake Erie and its tributaries to the first dam or designated landmark is 4 fish from March 1 through April 30. At all other times, the bag limit is 6 fish. Walleye minimum length limit is 15 inches. Check the 2006 fishing license digest for further details.

2. Largemouth bass, smallmouth bass and spotted bass bag limit (singly or in combination) on Lake Erie is 5 from June 24 through April 30. Minimum length is 14 inches during this time. From May 1 through June 23 bass may not be possessed.

3. Saugeye or walleye bag limit on inland lakes and streams is 6 fish.

4. Largemouth bass, smallmouth bass and spotted bass bag limit (singly or in combination) is 5 fish on inland lakes and streams.

5. Bag limit is one fish and 15" minimum length on smallmouth bass in Little Beaver Creek from OH-PA border to Ohio 7, Sandusky River from Ballville Dam to Twp. Rd. 143 in Seneca County, Hocking River from Ohio 278 to Ohio 93, and Stillwater River from Fredrick-Garland Road to Ohio 718.

6. Yellow perch bag limit is 40 fish on all inland water areas and Lake Erie.

7. Channel catfish bag limit is 6 fish on all inland water areas less than 700 surface acres, only one can be 28 inches and longer. All other state waters no bag limit on channel catfish only one can be 28 inches and longer per day.

8. Flathead catfish has no bag limit, only one fish 35 inches and longer per day.

They report an improving population of flathead at Buckeye lake.
They also note it is an underutilized fishery.
CC

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome,
Joey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> Introduce yourself All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: