Monogahela River WV Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Monogahela River WV

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RiverCat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Monogahela River WV Reply with quote

I do most of my catfishing in this river. It is controled by locks and Dams averages about 20ft. in depth. so far the deepest hole I have found is a little over 40ft. deep

I catch a fair amount of smaller flatheads in this river the biggest one being 29lbs.

Not alot of cover or at least cover I can find. There is one area that has HUGE boulders on the bottom and I do manage to catch some Flatheads from that area. A friend whos a good catfisherman came here to fish with me 2 years ago. He has caught several 40lbers. (not in the Monogahela) and has marked them and then set up on them and actually caught them.
He marked a fish he said was most probably a Flathead in this Boulder area that he said would go over 50lbs.
I've fished this area many times but a 14lber. is the biggest I've ever caught there so far.

A 20lb. Flathead here seems to be a good one, while not BIG its better than nothing. I hear of very few being caught over 20lbs. but last fall a 38lber. was caught and released in the same spot I caught the 29lber. which was also release. I CPR all catfish reguardless of size.

I've lost some very nice catfish (read that 20lbs+) , they just got off and no tackle failures.

I'll keep trying as I really enjoy those nights on the river and the challenge of Flathead fishing.
hillbillyangler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome river cat! Laughing Aww we love that mon river!
RiverCat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Do you fish the Monongahela much?
FISHINGANDMMA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Let me just say you live in one of my favorite spots in all of the appalachins. I just got back from Elkins aka Monogahela N.P about three weeks ago and wow was it amazing(your in the middle of nowhere). As far as flatheads, I never knew they were in there so good luck catching a big one. Cool I did good smallmouth fishing, but didn't catch any cats. I noticed some people catching a lot of trout though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> Catfish All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: