Hooks Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Hooks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RiverCat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Hooks Reply with quote

Lets talk hooks for Flatheads.

I have had my best luck using 2 types of circles for flatheads.
I like the Daiichi Light Wire Wide Gap Circles in 5/0 and 7/0 and the Gamakatsu Octopus Circles in 8/0

What hooks do you all favor for Flatheads?
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rivercat

I fish lakes for flathead and have the best success using Kahle hooks.
After experimentation I setled on 5/0 hooks so the wire size would not stress my baitfish.

I am patiently waiting for someone to use smaller wire size in 7/0-10/0 Kahle hooks. I want the wider gap for my baits but the smaller wire to allow my baits to stay lively longer Very Happy

Here is a flat with a 5/0 Kahle solidly in the corner of its mouth.

Fishing in lakes without current allows us to fish in freespool with the clickers on. We can then choose when to set the hook. Hookup ratios of experienced catmen is quite high with this method.
RiverCat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Thanks!

Question do you need to set the hook with Kahles or can they be used like circles? I got circles figured out but seems like every time I try a set type hook I miss the fish. I'm sure its me not the hooks! LOL
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard stories of people using Kahles on tightline like circle hooks and letting flathead hook themselves.

We prefer to put a thumb on freespooling reels and waiting to make sure the cat has the bait securely. Then we put the reel in gear and allow the fish to tighten the line and haul back and cross their eyes.

Our method is not foolproof and there is no way to know which direction the fish is moving. A fish going to the side or towards us may require a second hookset. I have been fooled and tore the hook out on a second hookset. For the most part the flathead have a tight grip on baits and we get over 90% hookups on our bites.

I like those odds and will stick with my Kahle hooks until someone shows me that the circle hooks perform better.

I use circle and octopus hooks when fishing in current. I am pleased with results although my hookup percentage is not as high as my flathead ratio with Kahles.
RiverCat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks!!!! Very Happy

I can do that then. See I fish circles in the almost exact same way you fish the Kahles with the exception when I engage the reel and let him tighten up I just just reel in with no setting at all, just start reeling. And probably 80-85% I got him.

But I will try the Kahles as you fish them too as no one could ever dispute your success with MONSTER Flatheads!
From looking all over the web I have come to the conclusion when it comes to Big Flatheads that "You Da Man" Very Happy

Heres me and the 29lber.
RiverCat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katfish on these Kahles do you prefer the ones with the eyes straight inline with the shanks or the offset eyes?
cat meister

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Kahles like circles. I've noticed that when tightlining and letting them hook themselves, they end up with it usually in the corner of their mouth. If I set the hook, it powers through wherever the hook happens to be.
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riverrat

I prefer the offset eye of the Eagle Claw L144F.

I use a 5/0 hook because the wire size of larger Kahles stresses my bait too much.
RiverCat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks! I thought that might be the hook you use judging by pics in your Rigging Section. Got 5/0s and 6/0s on order from Catfish Connection!

I been using circles but will try the Kahles and if I like them better will switch over completely. Gotta go with what works best as we both know a man waits too long for Mr. Big to bite to have the equipment hinder the catch.

I kinda figure it this way! You done tried both and have stuck with the Kahles and if it works for you then theres a high probability it will work for me!
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rivercat

I would like to remind you that these kahles are bronze and baitfish will swim around and dull the points. They also will rust quickly once the bronze coating wears off.

Mike and I carry diamond files and even sharpen new hooks to razor sharpness. Each night we check and resharpen the points to make sure they will penetrate a big flathead if given the chance Wink

These hooks are inexpensive but you only really need to change them if you cannot resharpen them.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 4/0 - 7/0 Khale style Eagle Claws for flatheads. Last year I had a 20 lb flathead straighten a 4/0 a little so I am staying with the 7/0 from now on. That is mostly because I use a heavier line with the drag set tigher. Like was mentioned before, I am a fanatic about them being sharp. I sharpen my hooks all the time during the night and replace them if they are not sharp enough. I bought some of the 10/0 Khale style hooks and used them on some 1-2 pound bullhead baits. They are very heavy hooks and I will probably use them rarely.

"There are two kinds of fish- catfish and baitfish".
flatcathunter15

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use khale hooks (mustad). Last weekend i went to sooner lake fishing in a bunch a submerged trees Got a huge hit started reelin all the sudden it slack started reelin then relized no fish on . When got my line in noticed it had straightend the hook qiet a bit(3/o). So now im goin to start usen 6/0 or up not really shure what would be the right size.
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boyz

I just got 5 boxes of Kahle hooks

Eagle Claw L144BK KahleŽ Hook

We found that these coated hooks resist rust which forms around our knots because we use dacron line that absorbs and holds water. The coating helps protect our points too.

Our concern about the rusting and line damage at the knot also lead us to the decision to snell our hooks. The snell is probably stronger on new line and definately an advantage on old line.

I bring the line through the eye so the offset helps the hook dig into fish.
Mmagis snells from the other side of the offset and hooks fish.
tusccattin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use circle hooks almost exclusively. I have 90% or better hook up rate. Really, the only time I notice I lose a fish is when the bait is smashed which leads me to believe the fish that took the bait either did not get enough time to inhale the bait, or it was simply too small to get the bait completely in its mouth. I am not trophy catcher like Katfish or Magis. My personal best is only 37 lbs. Last year I did catch several in the 30 lb range and none of the larger ones came off.

I fish all kind of water conditions from river with barely any current to heavy current, to lakes. I use the clicker when I can

I have thought of using Kahle hooks, but have yet to try them. Any tips you guys can give me? I am used to circles, so it will feel completely foreign for me to use something I really have to set the hook on. Are there places/ situations I would be better off using Kahles? Do they tend to allow you to get snagged as easily in heavy cover as regular J hooks do?

I am learning a lot on this site, so anything helps. Thanks to you all for sharing your know how
tcba1987

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEVERAL over 30lbs ..........wow thats impressive for the Tusc River ................WAY TO GO !!!

Team Dumb & Dumber

BUMBA-FISHING and having a BUMBA-TUDE and we are having FUN doing it !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> Tackle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: