Line Size Kat-a-Log
Forum discussing catfishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Line Size
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RiverCat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Line Size Reply with quote

I've been reading here and there about heavier mono line reduces your succes ratio on Big Cats.

I use 40# Big Game Solar Green. Is that too heavy in terms of possibly "scareing" away bigger fish? Or is this recent talk I been reading just talk?

I have good luck with the 40# and my obsevations are it doesn't seem to bother smaller cats.
I fish one rig with 30#, 2 rigs with 40# and one rig with 60# all Big Game Lines.
Just my limited observations I almost never get bites on the 30# or 60# lines. Now I'm fishing only where Flatheads and Channels are present as theres no Blues in our waters here.

I was just wonder what everyones take on this Line Size/Wt thing might be?

AND........ what would you all consider the best mono line weight for Flatheads (hopefully up to 60lbs, at present the largest Flat caught in my river that I know of was a 38lber. but I truely believe theres some in there over 50lbs.) Not lots of cover and in the river I fish in.
M.Magis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone mentioning that line spooks catfish, and I don't believe it to be true. People catch them on set lines, limb lines, and jugs all the time, and they're using heavier line than we'll ever use on our reels. When I used mono I always liked 40 lb Big Game. More than enough strength and still castable. Unless your fishing extremely heavy cover, 40 lb will land any fish you hook, provided your drag is set correctly.

Last edited by M.Magis on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
RiverCat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cool! I was having a hard time believeing that but thought well it could be true????

Good Deal I'll continue usung the 40# Big Game its worked for me so far.
Not real expensive and holds up pretty good. I'm sure theres better lines out there but for the money I feel its a good line.
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sure theres better lines out there but for the money I feel its a good line.

Well there may be other lines that are better but I will give you something to think about. Mono lines will deteriorate in sunlight and actually lose some strength through oxidation. Getting fresh line guarantees optimum strength. Berkley sells lots of Big Game so it is often re-ordered and likely the freshest line in stock at most stores.

As Mike said your drag setting is more important than line strength.
RiverCat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok sounds good! I respool sometimes twice a season. But always at least start ever season with new line. Now Drag Setting is something I can do.

I'm open to sugestions on lines. May as well use the best or at least better line.
Would sure hate to lose a Big Cat to equipment failure. A man waits too long for Mr. Big to bite to lose him to faulty equipment. Sad
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember what we were saying about drag settings?

Little Kayla and I landed this 52 pound flathead on an Abu 6500 loaded with 20# test mono.

That means with correct drag settings and your 40# test (and good knots) you should be able to land a cat over 100 pounds. Mmagis and I go after the biggest flathead we can find with 36# test line that is not superior to Trilene big game.

If you respool often and watch for cuts and abrasions in your line it should be good. Watch your drag settings and knots and you should be fine.
RiverCat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Thanks! I'll heed your advice! Very Happy
esdaddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use 40# stren saltwater and 50# bbg i like both very much....havent had any problem at all with either..the stren i can it a lil bit cheaper but both will do the job
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember starting out with 40lb big game then went to 80lb Ande premium and now use 60 lb Ande premium. 60 lb. is the right size line for me in the river I fish in. It has a lot of wood and flatheads to 100lbs. The bigger line doesn't seem to stop the flatheads, I have caught them from 3 lbs. on up. A lighter line probably would let the bait work a little better and I could use lighter sinkers but I feel more confident with heavier line.

"There are two kinds of fish- catfish and baitfish".
catfish361

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the line I use and I think it works very well. So I have to say what you heard cant be true
RiverCat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that heavier lines don't seem to effect catfish.

I just a new spool of 40# Big Game in Solar Green. The solar is alot easier on my old eyes. Laughing
Flatcatnightmare

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Berkley Big Game 40lb for years , recently thought about going with something different but after asking a gazillion questions and getting all the info I can on it from other fellas who have used different lines , I decide to stick with it , I got lots of good feedback on this line .
RiverCat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion is Big Game Mono is about as good a mono as there is.

I had read a test that was done on trotlines and it got me wondering. Something to the effect they caught more fish on the lighter drop lines than on the heavier drop lines. I realize there is alot that can factor into a test though.

But I have caught little bitty flatheads that wouldn't weigh hardly a pound on 40# Big Game before. So I'm sticking with it as it works for me.
katfish
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say use a good quality line and remember to check it before fishing for damage or wear.

Check your drags to make sure they are correct and it will be well worth the time Wink

You may find that a particular line will work better in the conditions you fish.

In heavy current small diameter super braids will not get as much pressure from flowing water. They do tend to be easily frayed so a heavier leader or constant attention is necessary.

If price is a concern and you spool lots of reels you would probably prefer large spools of fresh mono. If you watch the lines to detect bites the solar green or solar gold mono would be a fine choice.

If you often fish live baits I would recommend dacron braids or at least a dacron leader. The flexibility of the dacron allows the baitfish to move better and live longer on the hook.

Each person has different needs when fishing. Determine what equipment best suits your needs and tweak your tackle until you are satisfied that it performs at the best level you can achieve.
Ampeg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katfish wrote:
Watch your drag settings and knots and you should be fine.

Targeting Trophy Flatheads, what Knot do you prefer to use, polymer?

Also, do you snell your hooks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kat-a-Log Forum Index -> Tackle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: